Cinder

9:30:00 AM


Assalamualaikum w.b.t.




Title: Cinder


Writer: Marissa Meyer


Year: 2012   


Genre: Fantasy, Sci-fi, Retelling


Synopsis:


Even in the future, the story begins with Once Upon a Time....


Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth's fate hinges on one girl....


Sixteen-year-old Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second-class citizen with a mysterious past and is reviled by her stepmother. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future. Because there is something unusual about Cinder, something that others would kill for.


Review: (4.6 / 5)


After Harry Potter series, A Series of Unfortunate Events series, Throne of Glass series, and now, I'm stuck with another series yet, Lunar Chronicles series. Hahaha look at how greedy I am.


My first impression is, this story's gonna be interesting. Set in a futuristic dystopia world. Theme of this series is of course fairy-tale or now we call it retelling of Cinderella. Drama? Yes, this story had that kind of thing and... aha! The romance centered in this story, really, suits my taste! Not-make-me-cringe type of romance! All was smooth! I likeee!


What's interesting is, this story sets in the future. (Idk why I read a lot of sci-fi lately) The best thing is, the author is brilliant enough to merge a fairy-tale into a dystopia world. Cyborg foot instead of glass slipper. A car with engine instead of pumpkin carriage. Androids instead of singing mice. Isn't it intriguing?


Eastern Commonwealth is all fine until the plague become their next fear. After the death of the king Emperor Rikan, the Crown Prince Kaito become the next subject for Queen Levana. Already ruling a corrupted kingdom called Luna (or the moon), she took the chance she saw to take over our Earth, too. She saw Prince Kaito as someone who weak, someone who dim-witted, but she couldn't be more wrong. Prince Kai wasn't as easy as she thought, because he already found someone... someone who could save everything without realizing.


Kai cleared his throat. Stood straighter. "I assume you are going to the ball?"


"I-I don't know. I mean, no. No, I'm sorry, I'm not going to the ball."


Kai drew back, confused. "Oh well... but... maybe you would change your mind? Because I am, you know."


"The prince."


"Not bragging," he said quickly. "Just a fact."


He found Cinder. A renowned mechanic of New Beijing. Little did he knew that the mechanic he used to see everyday will save him from his grief. And little did Cinder knew too that she possessed something all people had searching for so long.


Some part of this story could make me break out into tears as well, especially after someone Cinder took care for so long, died before her eyes. Not the prince, I told you. It's her best friend, her kind stepsister. Cinder, is a cyborg, without tear ducts. So, whenever something emotional happened to her, she cannot cry. She cannot relief herself. That facts itself was heart-wrenching. She couldn't do anything about it.


So far, Lunar Chronicles 1 a.k.a Cinder is enjoyable, worth to read, another epic masterpiece I didn't regret spending hours with.


(and just... stars, can I get a little more of Prince Kai? He's just too perfect for an innocently charming crown prince... teehee)


You Might Also Like

4 obliviators

  1. Got the book, haven't read it yet. I wonder if your favourite book genre is dystopian? :)

    ieyra | blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? It's a good read, I assure. Yeah, dystopian is my fav genre, kinda. My first dystopian reads was The Hunger Games series, next is Divergent. This is the third I guess :D

      Delete
    2. Eh! Same! I started with The Hunger Games, and uh, Divergent is like my most favourite dystopian book, ever!!! Bila Veronica Roth nak keluar w/ her new book ni. Haha. Have you read The Programme by Suzanne Young? (:

      Delete
    3. wow, then we have a same taste! kannn, we're eager to wait ^^ oh belum lagi, insyaallah will read when I found it haha :D

      Delete

Great Legacy

Sticky Notes

elite reader(s)